Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tata Photon+ Not detected on Ubuntu 10.10

A lot of people have been facing some teething problems setting up their internet connection after installing the latest Ubuntu 10.10 version, code named, 'Maverick Meerkat'. I was one of them.

Am a lawyer by profession and have no technical academic background - worse, I don't even have the slightest interest or curiosity to explore the geek/ nerdy areas. I leave it to the professionals. Not every one can become a lawyer, and not every one can become a geek. Period.

So when I installed the Ubuntu 10.10, I had faced a classic problem (as I later found out): my Tata Photon+ OLIVE VME 101 Broadband was not getting detected by Ubuntu 10.10.

I read that the earlier versions, like the Ubuntu 10.04, code named 'Lucid Lynx' used to face certain issues with the detection of Tata Photon+, and some usbmodes softwares were required to mount certain files that would further enable the detection of the modem.

Some posts even mentioned that the modem is auto-detected in the latest Maverick version of Ubuntu, i.e. 10.10.

I spent hours surfing such pages written by geeks, who obviously had a lot of time at their hand. No offence, since after their posts, I'd find comments by other readers/ users who said that their problems were solved.

I tried these methods, to no success.

I came across a link that said the device gets detected as a modem if you go into the file manager and eject the storage device. Then you needed to follow the instructions from Tata Photon+ home page about installing it on Linux platforms.

Thanks to the pre-instruction of this guy, I solved my issue. No need to write fancy codes, non-geeks. Just do this:

Log in to your Ubuntu OS, and connect your device to your laptop. And then-

1. Go to APPLICATIONS> DISK UTILITY> STORAGE DEVICES
2. Eject your device, which is showing as a mass storage rather than a modem.

That is all you need to do. Your network connection bar at the right hand corner will then auto-detect your device and you're ready to go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment