Monday, January 24, 2011

The Social Network - Movie Review

I have to be honest... The first look of 'THE SOCIAL NETWORK' didn't excite me. I saw the trailer and the curly hair, chocolate face of Jesse Eisenberg, and Justin Timerlake (all of him, actually) put me off. Of course, I had no clue it was directed by David Fincher.


All of 2010, I was waiting for Christopher Nolan's 'INCEPTION'. It got released, I saw and Nolan conquered. At this year's various international awards, I saw that curly haired guy, smiling and clapping (winner's smile and claps).. and then on the same table I spotted David Fincher.. and I felt like a fool. 


Direction, Film, Music category, this movie was... sweeping awards.. and had to, since it is a Fincher film. In technical categories for Art Direction, and other technical fronts, 'Inception' was winning. 


So, horrified, I decided to watch 'The Social Network'.


I am a big fan of Fincher. His FIGHTCLUB is my all-time favourite. So it is no surprise that since the first shot of 'The Social Network', I was hooked. What a tirade of conversation between Erica Albright and Mark Zuckerberg! It was a sarcastic rendition on the conversation of women, in general, that forces them to involve some intellectual subject matter. And how they struggle to do so.


On the same note, I thought the entire movie revolved around how women had to match up to Zuckerberg's wavelengths: he throws a beer bottle at his business associate, Sean Parker, and for the latter's girlfriend as well, and she misses to catch it - twice. If I hadn't read about Zuckerberg and his GF before, I'd have thought that he hates women. 


The treatment of women in this film is something you can't ignore. You see under-age interns "working" at FB's offices and having more usefulness in the rave parties later on. Fincher directed Helena Bonham Carter in all her character's audacity in 'FightClub', and god, what a woman! What a portrayal! And now, this. But it seems as a tribute to womanhood, in general, considering that Sean Parker and Mark Zuckerberg moved mountains because they were ditched by women - sensible women.


The editing is to die for, in the movie. The movie begins, when the movie begins. And after that, there is no moment to loose. It moves fast, just like the brain of the protagonist. This film races for your heartbeat. The story-telling is also top-notch, the case/ trial/ negotiation advances with ease, letting the flashback fill the details of the present. Very Memento-esque.


Eisenberg surprises with his dialogue delivery and certain nuances, scenes that are based on his silence and expression. Timberlake, ah... well... no comments.
Andrew Garfield is a delight, relatively speaking. Armie Hammer's portrayal of "Gentlemen of Harvard" is beautiful.


The background score is racy, prefectly complimenting the pace of Zuckerberg's brain and Fincher's direction. Trent Razor and Atticus Ross may be Golden Globe winners, slated for their first Oscar win, but I still feel Hans Zimmer's score for 'Inception' was mind blowing.


Also ended up watching the mock version of the film on ZStudio, where the opponent's lawyer undresses and sits on the table, asking Zuckerberg, "Do I have your attention now?" lol


All in all, an awesome film. One of Hollywood's best, Fincher's best and 2010's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment