Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Travelogue - Delhi

Here are a couple of pictures I took from my BlackBerry phone during the trip to the Capital. I forgot to carry my camera along - I know, an unforgivable sin. But then, this trip was meant to be official and really really short: 72 hours or less. Hours gave away to days, and I discovered I was in love with the city. So I decided to explore just a little more and compromised with my BB camera. Obviously, the end results aren't too great. But I still hope I captured something beautiful about Delhi. And while returning back, I watched RAMAYANA on the flight and now I finally know who was Sugreev and Bali. Very educational trip.



From the moment I landed, lush green colour bedazzled me. Sheila Dixit has done an amazing job. Some said she amassed close to INR 52,000 crore of personal wealth during the "beautification" but Delhi-ites seem to be satisfied. Corrupt leaders - who can act for the welfare of people - will do, they said. Can't comment on that. Politics aside, the monsoons were just flirting with the City 10 days back. Loved the weather, especially on the day when me and Shruti wandered off to India Gate right after my meeting. And yes, I mistakenly called the "Rickshaw" a "Tonga". I don't know why I did that. LOL



Another one of my funny misadventures included the time when I asked a high profile commando looking guy who comprised of the security at one of those posh bungalows at Janpath, "Where's Gateway of India?"
I asked Delhi cops for walking directions from CP to IndiaGate, and they were insistent on knowing why I wanted to walk. I insisted I wanted to walk and then they smiled and gave me the directions. Saw plenty of women smoking bidis. Guys were the same as they were 20 months back: gelled to death, loud and waterfalls of vanity flowing through them (Try imagining that in a Dali painting!). Exceptions are always there, of course!



A remarkable thing that happened in Delhi was that I visited Indira Gandhi Memorial for the first time. I clicked a lot of pictures there; and I was struck with the glamour, dedication and the flaw of Indira Gandhi  l. I'll blog about it later.

For all the pictures of this trip, click here.

So I must have wandered for two days inside the City, and then I went up further North to Uttar Pradesh in a village called Partapur. Another I am going to include the details about that trip and pictures in another post. So long! :)

5 comments:

  1. this proves you had a good journey...hope you like Delhi and its culture..ya its Delhi and we are in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lively discription! I was posted in Delhi, stayin at Gurgaon btn 1974-78. Though staying very close in Ambala 3 1/2 hr journey, but could never had a time to revisit.You helped me to travel Delhi again, through your lense and blog. Thanks, waiting for the pics and information on Partapur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delhi - Adventures in a Mega City by Sam Miller.

    Pick that up now. And it goes beyond the lush green south Delhi.

    A gripping read that you would finish in 2 days or so.

    Thank me later :)

    ReplyDelete