Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Obsession versus Love

If the object of your love told you that he is not in love with with you, what would you do?
You'd be devastated. Shattered. Sad. But here's what you'd do: you'd maintain grace, smile, wish the person all the best and move on. "Move on" could mean two things: one, is that you move on, and find another person to love; or you could "move on" with your life. May be you could only love that person and that person alone and you'd wish him the best. The road is tough.

This versus the scenario where the object of your obsession told you that he is not in love with you, what would you do?
You'd be devastated. Shattered. Sad. And here's what you'd do: you'd still keep calling, messaging, trying to meet that person. Even after repeated versions of the truth falling at your ears, you'd not be able to accept the "defeat". Yes, it would be a defeat to you. The center of your existence depends on that person's talking with you. Ownership. Possession.

I had a taste of the latter case recently, and for the first time in my life I was scared of myself. When the person held my hands (against my wish and visible uncomfort) I felt like screaming, and probably even hitting. The rage that formed within me was scary. I knew if I let myself go, I would turn the whole thing into one uglier mess, become a werewolf or something.

One of the saddest things in life is to apologise to someone for not loving him back. I believe everyone has the basic freedom to choose to like or love or to be with someone. And if you are a victim of an unrequited love, then may God be with you, you only have your love, your belief and your faith. You cannot - absolutely cannot - "tell" that person more than once that you love him. There's a sanctity in everything.

Dedicated to Jasmine -- Hope you will find your Prince very soon. Else, we can still spend an old ladies' evening together 50 years from now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment