Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Goodwill

There's something with me and mid-week. I am so upbeat during the week-days. And recently some survey said that people dreaded Tuesdays more than Monday. Well, surely they hadn't included me in their statistics.

I had an awesome time on a rainy Tuesday night at the outstretched piece of land and tetra pods at Nariman Point. At 09: 30 PM, there was no one else, but me, my Dad and a sea that was kissed by some heavy rain. It was alive, all right, and listening intently to our conversation. We'd just come back from Oxford, Churchgate, and there, we read a little about Peter Drucker's philosophy. He'd said that every six months entrepreneurs needed to ask themselves what they wanted to be remembered for. Dad and I, were discussing the same thing.

There's so much to do in this world, and it suddenly struck me that one lifetime could simply never be enough. It is a simple thought, yes, and thankfully it keeps hitting me more often than not. To me, the thought is an important reminder because often I wonder about the purpose of life, existence, good and evil and the choice we seem to have. I'd like to think that when such thoughts bombard me, and suicide really seems like the perfect answer, my destiny would say, "There she goes again!" :)

One important lesson I learnt was that goodwill is an important thing. And that makes me smile. I believe that creating goodwill in a business in the current economy, and at a time when trust of people especially when it comes to parting with their money, is at an all-time-low, is a very very tough task. My Dad creates goodwill with a great ease. How he does this, I am not sure.

In fact, I criticise him a lot about being "soft" to people and being from the law school, I believe in documenting or contracting even a single sneeze of my client on a stamp paper, duly notorised and entering into a contract before even breathing with that person. Having said that, I'd like to mention that I find pre-nupital agreements strange. Seeing my Dad, I realise I do have a lot to learn. Dad never went to a business school.

No comments:

Post a Comment