Friday, October 1, 2010

Top 5 Movie Hollywood Proposals of All Time

DISCLAIMER:
The parameter out here is where the heart is delighted without a tear in the eye. So Casblanca and Gone with the Wind fans, please do excuse me.

No one quite does it like in the movies!

Number 5:
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Remember when a bejewelled Jack Sparrow tells Will Turner, as both watch Elizabeth walk away, that if he was looking for a perfect moment to tell her what he felt, well, he'd just missed it.
And we so agree.
Cut to the next scene, where Elizabeth is standing with her father, her fiance, with the rest of the crowd to watch Jack Sparrow hanged. William Turner, looks at her from afar, sighs, and approaches her. He greets the father, her fiance, and tells her that he's been in love with her for a long time. Both the father and the fiance, astonished, look at her face, searching for a response. And all she has on her face is a look of disbelief, and relief :)

Number 4:
A Good Year
This is the most under-rated movie I have ever come across. Manages to make love only an addendum to a life. When Maximillan Skinner finds himself "trapped" in a beautiful chateu in Provence, he finds something to look forward to: the fiesty restuarant manager, Fanny Chenal. He somehow manages to woo her, she even sleeps with him, only to wake up the following morning and say that she did "it" because she knew they won't have a future together. She saw through the man who Skinner was: the clever, arrogant and ruthless Londoner in Max Skinner. And when Max offers her to move to London with him and open a cafe there, she remarks, "How typical to think that am here because I have no choice."
The movie advances, and one can never forget the brooding expression Russel Crowe manages to give as he sits contemplating his boss' offer of "Money or your life".
He ends up sitting in Fanny's cafe behind a newspaper, ready to order. She walks up to the table to take the orders, and is breathless when she sees its Skinner. She maintains her self before she asks, "Vous etes pret?"
Max: "I think so."
Fanny: "You sure you don't need more time?"
Max: "No. I know what I want."
Fanny: "You're sure?"
Max: "Absolutely."
Fanny: "So. What's it going to be?"
Max: "How's the Soup?"
Fanny: "The Soup is finished."
Max: "Like my job... the Fish?"
Fanny: "We've run out."
Max: "That's like me with excuses."
Fanny: "Don't waste my time. Order something we have."
Max: "I'd like a lifetime spent with an irrational and suspicious goddess, some short-tempered jealousy on the side and a bottle of wine, that tastes like you, a glass that's never empty."
Marc Streitenfeld's music makes for an excellent accompaniment along with the story, originally written by Peter Mayle for a book.

Number 3:
50 First Dates
It requires a madness element, to do what Henry did for Lucy. This is one movie that made first-time-meeting(s) more interesting and lovable than the actual proposal(s) and kiss(es) :) The movie is excellently designed for women, who go ga-ga over the mush-quotient here and the typical, slapstick and funny remarks that men will completely identify with and enjoy. Henry's various attempts of meeting Lucy, getting to introduce himself to her is particularly awesome.

The first time proposal is also the most awkward moment in the film:
[Lucy, Henry, Lucy's father and her brother, together in a car, driving to the hospital]
Lucy: "Do I have a Boyfriend?"
Her Father: "Err Honey.. you two are sort of seeing each other." -- (pointing towards Henry)
Henry to Lucy: "I am sorry am not that good looking."
Lucy: "Did we have sex?"
At this point both the Father and Brother, turn around and stare at Henry.
Henry: "No, no we didn't. I mean we want to, very much- just kidding. Just so that everyone out here knows."

Number 2:
Jerry Maguire
This movie could easily top any woman's all time favourite on-screen love stories. And the high point is, of course, the proposal-- which happens well after marriage, and a near divorce - to the same couple. Jerry Maguire's character was very well crafted by Writer-Director Cameron Crowe, and it got a Best Supporting Actor Oscar to Cuba Goodig Jr., who portrayed the tantrum-throwing eccentric rugby player, Rod Tidwell, who wants Jerry Maguire to "show him the money". . After realising his love for Dorothy Boyd, Jerry Maguire catches a flight, rushes home, to deliver one of the most compelling love speeches of all time, "You complete me." Dororthy Boyd is sitting with her sister's friends (all divorcees), in her living room, all bitter, and noisy, complaining about how men and life have been unfair to them.
Maguire appears, all enlightened, and with a porch full of bitter women separating him from his soon-to-be-ex-wife, he breaks into a long speech: "Hello. I am looking for my wife. Okay.. if this is where it has to happen, then this is where it has to happen. I am not letting you get rid of me. How about that? This used to be my speciality. I was good in the living room. Send me in there, and I'll do it all alone. Now I just don't know... But our little company had a really good night tonight. A really big night. But it wasn't complete. It wasn't nearly close to being in the same vicinity as complete... Because I couldn't share it with you. I couldn't hear your voice, or laugh about it with you. I missed my wife. We live in a cynical world and we work in the business of tough competitors, I love you. I love you. You complete me. I just-"
Dororthy Boyd: "Shut up, just shut up.... you had me at a hello."
:)

Number 1:
My Best Friend's Wedding
Two strangers on a busy station. Boy sees girl. Shouts across the distance, "Will you marry me?"
The girl: "Yes!"
Beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment